Corn Chowder with Bacon
|6 slices of bacon
|2 tbs unsalted butter
|3/4 cup onion, chopped
|3/4 cup celery, chopped
|4 cups chicken stock
|2 cups potatoes, diced
|6 cups of fresh or frozen corn (1 and 1/2 lbs)
|1 cup heavy cream
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
This chowder is rich and creamy and is a wonderful way to prepare fresh or frozen corn.
- Fry bacon until crisp and remove from pan.
- Add butter to pan and melt with bacon drippings.
- Add onion and celery and cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Pour stock into a large sauce pan or stock pot and add the potatoes.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cook until fork tender.
- Puree 4 cups of the corn in a blender, adding a small amount of the hot stock while blending.
- Add the pureed corn, whole corn, vegetables and cream to the soup pot.
- Season with salt and pepper and heat through. Do not boil.
- Just before serving, crumble cooked bacon into the soup.