Corn Chowder with Bacon
- 6 slices of bacon
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 6 cups of fresh or frozen corn (1 and 1/2 lbs)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
This chowder is rich and creamy and is a wonderful way to prepare fresh or frozen corn.
- Fry bacon until crisp and remove from pan.
- Add butter to pan and melt with bacon drippings.
- Add onion and celery and cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Pour stock into a large sauce pan or stock pot and add the potatoes.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cook until fork tender.
- Puree 4 cups of the corn in a blender, adding a small amount of the hot stock while blending.
- Add the pureed corn, whole corn, vegetables and cream to the soup pot.
- Season with salt and pepper and heat through. Do not boil.
- Just before serving, crumble cooked bacon into the soup.