Chinese Hunan Beef
|1 (3 lb) top round beef roast|
|3 tbs soy sauce|
|4 tsp cornstarch|
|1 tsp sugar|
|5 tbs canola oil|
|1 red pepper, cut into thin strips|
|1 green pepper, cut into thin strips|
|1 head broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces|
|4 cloves garlic, minced|
|3 tsp fresh ginger|
|1 tsp ginger, grated|
|1 tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped|
For the sauce:
- 3 tbs red wine
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tbs hoisin sauce
- 1 tbs corn starch
- 3/4 tsp canola oil
- Trim the roast of all fat and freeze.
- Allow to thaw for 1 hour.
- Slice beef into paper thin slices.
- Combine with soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar and 1 tbs of oil.
- Marinate in mixture for at least 4 hours.
- Stir together all sauce ingredients.
- Heat a wok or saute pan on medium high heat.
- Coat the bottom with 1 tbs of oil.
- Cook peppers and broccoli for about 3 minutes.
- Set vegetables aside.
- Heat remaining 3 tbs of oil.
- Add garlic, red pepper flakes and beef.
- Cook until beef loses its pink color.
- Add cooked vegetables, tomato and sauce.
- Simmer until sauce thickens.
- Serve over rice.