Lasagna with Italian Sausage
|2 lbs of Italian sausage (1lb hot and 1lb sweet)|
|1/4 cup olive oil|
|3 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 (28oz) can of Italian tomatoes|
|1 (8oz) can of tomato sauce|
|1 (6oz) can of tomato paste|
|1 tsp of kosher salt|
|1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper|
|2 tsp oregano|
|2 tsp basil|
|2 tsp sugar|
|1 (15oz) containers of Ricotta cheese|
|1 cup grated Parmesan cheese|
|2 large eggs|
|3 cups Mozzarella cheese|
|8 (oz) of lasagna noodles|
This is Italian comfort food at it’s best.
- In a sauce pan using medium heat add the olive oil and cook the sausage and garlic, breaking the sausage apart with a wooden spoon. About 6 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, sauce, paste, salt sugar, oregano,basil and pepper.
- Simmer for 30 minutes and then set aside to cool.
- While the sauce cools, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. (aldente)
- Drain well and toss with a bit of olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Keep warm and cover until they are ready to use.
- Combine the ricotta cheese, Parmesan and eggs.
- Spoon 1/2 cup of the cooled tomato sauce into a 9×13 pan.
- Add a layer of noodles, half of the ricotta mixture, 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat and top with the remaining cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, then cut into squares.