|2 cups of milk, scalded|
|2 cups quick oats|
|1/2 cup brown sugar|
|2 tbs butter, softened|
|1 tsp salt|
|1 package dry yeast|
|1/4 cup very warm water|
|4 to 5 cups of flour|
This bread is perfect for toasting slathered in butter or jam.
- Place milk, oats, brown sugar, butter and salt in a mixing bowl and stir.
- Cool until Luke warm.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Pour into oat mixture.
- Beat in 1 and 1/2 cups flour.
- Let stand until light and bubbly,about 15 minutes.
- Gradually add enough of remaining flour so that dough is soft and does not stick to the sides of the bowl.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and turn to coat on all sides.
- Cover with a damp towel and let rise until dough doubles in size, about 30 minutes.
- Form into loaves and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake for an additional 30 to 40 minutes.
- Let cool, then slice.