|3 lbs of large russet potatoes, peeled and shredded|
|1 cup onion, minced|
|1/4 cup flour|
|1 tsp baking powder|
|1 tsp white pepper|
|canola oil for frying|
|apple sauce for serving(optional)|
This is a traditional potato cake served at Hanukkah.
- Place potatoes and onion in a colander and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Press out the moisture and transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in eggs, flour, salt, pepper and baking powder.
- Heat 3 tbs of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Spoon 2 tbs of the potato mixture into skillet for each latke.
- Spread to 4 inch circles.
- Fry for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, pressing down slightly when turning, until golden brown and crisp.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with remaining potato mixture.
- Keep warm and serve with apple sauce if desired.