Primanti Brothers Stuffed Sandwich
|4 slices of crusty Italian bread cut from a round loaf|
|2 cups of fresh cabbage, shredded|
|2 tsp celery seeds|
|3 tbs olive oil|
|3 tbs white vinegar|
|1 lb of mixed Italian meats|
|4 to 6 slices of mozzarella cheese|
|1 ripe tomato, sliced|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch fries|
|3 cups of canola oil|
Primanti Brothers is a restaurant in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania that is famous for its overstuffed sandwiches that are made with crusty Italian bread, various meats, cheese, coleslaw, tomatoes and topped with fresh cut french fries. This is our version this delicious sandwich.
- For the slaw, thinly shred cabbage and oil, vinegar, celery seeds and salt. Mix well.
- For the fries, fry in 290 degree oil for about 7 to 8 minutes. Remove drain and let cool.
- Once the fries are cool, increase the heat of the oil to 360 degrees and return fries to oil. Fry until fries are crispy. Drain fries on a wire rack.
- For the sandwich, add a little olive oil to a large saute pan. Using medium high heat add the cappicola and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Turn over and top with the slices of cheese.
- Cover pan to allow cheese to melt and cook for another 1 minute.
- Remove meat from pan and add to the sliced Italian bread.
- Top the meat with a generous amount of slaw, tomatoes and a handfull of fries.
- Top sandwich with the remaining piece of bread.
- Press down and serve.