|2 lbs ripe tomatoes|
|1 medium onion, thinly sliced|
|2 tbs butter|
|1 bay leaf|
|1 tbs brown sugar|
|2 whole cloves|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|2 tbs fresh basil, chopped or 2 tsp dried basil|
|2 cups light cream|
|1 cup milk|
|2 tbs chopped chives|
This recipe is best prepared with fresh, ripe tomatoes.
- Peel, seed and chop tomatoes.
- Saute’ onion in butter until soft.
- Add tomatoes, bay leaf, brown sugar, cloves, salt, pepper and basil.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are throughput cooked, about 25 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaf and cloves.
- Transfer mixture to food processor or blender and puree.
- Blend in cream and milk.
- Chill for several hours or overnight.
- Serve in chilled bowls and garnish with chives.