- 2 lbs ripe tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 2 whole cloves
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 tbs fresh basil, chopped or 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 cups light cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbs chopped chives
This recipe is best prepared with fresh, ripe tomatoes.
- Peel, seed and chop tomatoes.
- Saute’ onion in butter until soft.
- Add tomatoes, bay leaf, brown sugar, cloves, salt, pepper and basil.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are throughput cooked, about 25 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaf and cloves.
- Transfer mixture to food processor or blender and puree.
- Blend in cream and milk.
- Chill for several hours or overnight.
- Serve in chilled bowls and garnish with chives.