Southern Batter Fried Chicken
- 1 whole chicken cut up into 8 pieces
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 tbs of paprika
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tbs onion powder
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Lard for frying (you may use canola oil if desired, however lard has much better flavor.)
This is a New Orleans version of fried chicken.
- In a small bowl mix together the paprika, garlic powder and onion powder. Mix well
- Season chicken pieces all over with salt and pepper.
- Rub spice mixture into chicken, making sure to cover well.
- Place chicken in a shallow baking dish and cover with aluminum foil.
- Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours to allow the rub mixture to penetrate.
- In a large bowl add the flour with a dash of salt.
- Add the butter milk and mix into a smooth batter.
- Meanwhile heat the lard or oil to 360 degrees.
- Add the rub coated chicken to the batter.
- Let excess drain off and add the chicken to the oil in batches. (wings, breasts, thighs and legs)
- Cook chicken until golden and crispy. The breasts will take the longest. about 20 minutes.