Latin American Chicken and Pork Stew
- 1 lb of pork shoulder, trimmed of fat and cut into chunks
- 1 lb of boneless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
- 1/2 lb of collard greens or kale, chopped into large pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped into large pieces
- 1 large red green pepper, seeded and chopped into large pieces
- 1 butternut squash or small pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 2 large onions chopped
- 10 large cloves of garlic minced
- 1 small bunch of cilantro, chopped, leaves and stems
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 tbs thyme
- 1 tbs kosher salt
- 1 tbs fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tbs red pepper flakes
- 2 whole Habanero peppers (do not cut unless you want really spicy)
- 1 tbs cumin
- 2 cans cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 cups of chicken stock
- 1/4 cup canola oil
This is a wonderful traditional stew that is served in many countries in Latin America. It has pork, chicken, greens, peppers, squash and onions.
- Add canola oil to a large stock pot.
- Using medium high heat add the pork and chicken and brown on all sides.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer meat for 1 hour.
- Add all other ingredients and simmer for another hour.
- Taste for seasoning.