New England Fish Chowder
- 2 lbs of skinless haddock fillets
- 8 slices of thick cut bacon, diced
- 1 and 1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 3 and 1/2 cups of potato, peeled and diced into
- 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 3 tbs kosher salt
- 2 cups fish stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- dash of white pepper
- oyster crackers for serving
- Parsley for garnish
This is the classic New England Fish Chowder.
- Peel and dice potatoes. Set aside in a bowl of cold water.
- In a large sauce pan or dutch oven saute the bacon until crisp.
- Remove all but 2 tbs of the fat.
- Add the onion and celery and saute using medium heat until soft.
- Add potato and fish stock. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add milk, cream and whole fish fillets (note add fillets whole as they will break apart naturally.
- Continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning then ladle in bowls for serving.
- Garnish with parsley and oyster crackers.