Roasted Wild Duck
|2 lb cleaned and ready to cook Mallard duck|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1 small onion, cut into quarters|
|1 celery stalk, chopped|
|1 carrot, chopped|
|1/2 cup dry red wine|
|2 cloves garlic, smashed|
Wild duck has a richer flavor than farm raised duck and is absolutely delicious when prepared correctly. Before prepping the duck remove excess fat from the cavity.
- Season duck all over with salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Stuff duck cavity with onion, carrot, celery and garlic.
- Fold wing tips under duck and tie legs together with butcher twine.
- Place duck on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Add wine to roasting pan.
- Roast for 30 minutes, basting frequently with wine.
- Cook duck to a medium rare of 155 degrees.
- Remove duck from oven and rest. Temperature will rise to about 165.
- Cut duck into serving pieces and arrange on a platter.