Alaska Seafood Cioppino
- 1 and 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 cup fennel, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried basil or 1 tbs fresh
- 1/2 tsp dried tarragon
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 slice bacon, chopped finely
- 2 bottles (8 oz each) clam juice
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes in juice
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 lbs of your favorite Alaskan seafood (Alaska crab, King, snow or Dungeness) and fin fish such as Alaska Pollock, Salmon, Cod, Halibut or Sole.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy stockpot.
- Saute onion, celery and fennel over medium heat until softened. About 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, basil, tarragon, red pepper flakes, pepper and bacon.
- Saute for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add clam juice, tomatoes and wine, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add seafood to liquid.
- Return to simmer.
- Once simmering, cover pan and cook for several minutes.
- Turn off heat and let seafood rest for 5 minutes or until opaque throughout.
- To serve ladle into warm soup bowls.
Recipe courtesy of the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute