Eat to Beat Heart Disease
A Heart Healthy diet Includes:
- At least 4 and 1/2 cups of fresh fruit and vegetables per day
- At least tow 3.5 oz servings of fish per week. Ideally,you should chose fish that contain omega-3 fats, like salmon, mackerel, lake trout, sardines and herring.
- At least three 1 oz servings of whole grain products that are high in fiber (1.1 g or more of fiber per 10 g of carbohydrate)
- Less than 36 oz of sugar-sweetened beverages per week. (that’s less than three 12 oz cans of soda)
- No more than two servings of processed meats per week.
- No more than 1,500 mg of sodium per day.
- No trans fats- and choose low-fat and fat-free dairy products, lean meats and skinless poultry.
Courtney of Johns Hopkins Medical Center