- 2 cups white cornmeal
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups boiling water
- canola oil or shortening for frying
- Mix cornmeal and salt in a deep bowl.
- Slowly pour boiling water into it, stirring it constantly to scald all of the meal. This may take a little more or a little less than 3 cups of water, depending on the texture of the meal.
- When mixture is well stirred, allow to set for 10 to 15 minutes, with bowl covered
- Then the meal should be so stiff it has to be pushed off the spoon onto a hot greased griddle or large saute pan.
- With a spatula, pat the meal into flat cakes about 3/8 inch thick.
- When one side is a rich brown, turn and cook the other side.
- The two sides should have a thick, nutty crust, and inside should be cooked through.
- Serve with butter, honey and or maple syrup.