Herbed Spinach with Bacon
|3 slices of bacon, cut into dice|
|2 medium onions, thinly sliced|
|2 lbs washed spinach|
|1 cup parsley, coarsely chopped|
|1 tsp rosemary|
|dash of kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper|
|2 tbs lemon juice|
Spinach is available throughout the year. Select leaves that are young, fresh tender and free of blemishes. look for that deep green color. Allow 2 lbs for 4 servings. When ready to cook, wash thoroughly in running cold water making sure to remove any sand. Discard any yellow and damaged leaves and tear out the thick bottom mid ribs.The simplest way to prepare spinach is to place in a saute pan, sprinkle with salt. Cover and cook in the water that clings to the leaves after washing, until tender and wilted. About 5 to 6 minutes. Or steam then season with salt, pepper and butter.
- Cook bacon in a large saute pan until almost crisp.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and remove all but 1 tbs of drippings.
- To this add onions, spinach, parsley and seasonings.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until wilted, stirring a few times.
- Add lemon juice, bacon and serve.