Memphis in May Championship Barbecue Sauce
|2 sticks of butter|
|2 (8oz bottles) of hot mustard|
|24 ozs tomato sauce|
|1 (32oz) bottle of ketchup|
|1 quart of red wine vinegar|
|40 ozs of Worcestershire sauce|
|2 tsp Tabasco sauce|
|8 tsp brown sugar|
|4 tsp paprika|
|1 tbs garlic powder|
|4 tsp seasoning salt|
|2 tsp lemon juice|
|2 tsp chili powder|
|1/2 tsp black pepper|
|2 tsp cayenne pepper|
|1/4 cup liquid smoke|
This sauce has won the world championship several times at the Memphis in May barbecue competition. This recipe makes a gallon plus of sauce. You may halve the recipe if desired.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add mustard, tomato sauce, and ketchup.
- Stir constantly, then add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for 30minutes.
- Brush on meat at the end of cooking time then serve along side as a table sauce.
- Sauce may be frozen for later use.