Memphis in May Championship Barbecue Sauce
- 2 sticks of butter
- 2 (8oz bottles) of hot mustard
- 24 ozs tomato sauce
- 1 (32oz) bottle of ketchup
- 1 quart of red wine vinegar
- 40 ozs of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 8 tsp brown sugar
- 4 tsp paprika
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 4 tsp seasoning salt
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup liquid smoke
This sauce has won the world championship several times at the Memphis in May barbecue competition. This recipe makes a gallon plus of sauce. You may halve the recipe if desired.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add mustard, tomato sauce, and ketchup.
- Stir constantly, then add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for 30minutes.
- Brush on meat at the end of cooking time then serve along side as a table sauce.
- Sauce may be frozen for later use.