Menudo Mexican Tripe Soup
- 2 lbs of honeycomb tripe
- 1 and 1/2 lbs of veal or beef. Chuck roast works well
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large bay leaves
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp coriander seed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 (15oz) can of hominy
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper
- Cut tripe into 1 inch pieces.
- In a stock pot add the tripe, beef or veal roast, chicken stock, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano and bay leaves.
- Cook covered for at least 3 hours or until the tripe is tender and jelly like.
- Remove beef from pot, chop the meat and return to the pot.
- Add the hominy, cover and cook for 25 minutes longer.
- Garnish with lime wedges and hot chilies and serve.