Menudo Mexican Tripe Soup
|2 lbs of honeycomb tripe|
|1 and 1/2 lbs of veal or beef. Chuck roast works well|
|7 cups chicken stock|
|3 medium onions, chopped|
|4 cloves garlic, minced|
|2 large bay leaves|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1/2 tsp coriander seed|
|1 tsp dried oregano|
|1 (15oz) can of hominy|
|2 tsp crushed red pepper|
- Cut tripe into 1 inch pieces.
- In a stock pot add the tripe, beef or veal roast, chicken stock, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano and bay leaves.
- Cook covered for at least 3 hours or until the tripe is tender and jelly like.
- Remove beef from pot, chop the meat and return to the pot.
- Add the hominy, cover and cook for 25 minutes longer.
- Garnish with lime wedges and hot chilies and serve.