|3 lbs small/medium button mushrooms|
|2 medium white onions|
|1/2 cup white vinegar|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|2 bay leaf|
|1 tsp whole peppercorns|
|1 tbs olive oil|
- In a large sauce pan or stock pot place mushrooms and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and reserve liquid.
- Place mushrooms and onions in layers in 1 quart jars or a large container.
- In a sauce pan combine vinegar, mushroom liquid, salt, bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Pour mixture over layered vegetables.
- Add olive oil to the jar or container, allowing it to float on top.
- Cover and chill for at least 24 hours.
- Place on a platter to serve with other vegetables.
- Offer wooden toothpicks for serving.