Squash Au Gratin
|3 medium yellow squash|
|1 small onion, chopped|
|1/4 cup water|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1 cup herb seasoned croutons (stuffing mix works well)|
|3/4 cup grated Swiss cheese|
- Wash squash, trim ends and slice into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Place in a saute pan using medium heat, along with onion and water.
- Season with salt and pepper and cover.
- Cook until just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain and season with 1 tbs of butter.
- Meanwhile melt 2 tbs of butter in a small saute pan and toast the croutons using low heat.
- Spoon squash into a serving bowl and croutons and top with Swiss cheese.
- Place under a hot broiler and melt cheese until slightly browned and bubbly. About 3 to 4 minutes.