Oven Dried Tomatoes
|20 roma tomatoes|
|4 tbs fresh thyme, removed from stem and chopped|
|4 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
This is a wonderful technique for bringing out the unique flavor in Italian tomatoes.
- Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees.
- Quarter tomatoes lengthwise and lay skin side down on a rack in a baking tray.
- Sprinkle with salt, cracked black pepper and thyme.
- Bake for 2 and 1/2 hours.
- Check occasionally to make sure tomatoes do not burn.
- Toss in oil and cool before packaging into sterilized jars and sealing.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours before serving.
- Note: To sterilize jars, rinse then thoroughly with boiling water, invert then drain, then place in a very slow oven to dry completely.
- Do not dry with a towel.
- Alternatively you may keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.