- 1 box of German chocolate cake mix
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 1 can of evaporated milk, divided
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 large bag caramels
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together cake mix with butter, 1/4 cup evaporated milk and walnuts. Form into a dough.
- Press half of the dough into a well greased 9×12 pan. Push the dough up the sides slightly.
- Bake for 6 minutes.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the caramels along with 1/8 cup of evaporated milk, stirring every 30 seconds until melted and combined. Use enough milk to produce a smooth consistency for pouring.
- Remove the baking pan from the oven, it will still look a little doughy.
- Pour the chocolate evenly over the top.
- Pour melted caramels on top and crumble remaining dough over all.
- Smooth over and return to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cool, then cut into squares.