Gluten Free Strawberry Banana Muffins
- 1 and 1/3 cups slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1 ripe banana
- 2-4 tbs milk
- 1 and 1/2 tbs butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tbs honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (gluten free)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line 10 cups of a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a coffee grinder, blender of food processor finely grind the almonds, in three separate portions.
- Put each portion through a wire mesh strainer to separate the fine powder from the larger chunks, then reprocess until all the almonds are finely ground.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flax seed, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and sugar.
- In a measuring cup, mash banana with a fork until smooth.
- Add enough milk so banana and milk combined measure 3/4 cup.
- Add butter, honey, egg and vanilla, mix with a fork until fully blended together.
- Add banana mixture to dry mixture and stir until incorporated.
- Add strawberries and fold in quickly, until evenly mixed in.
- Divide batter among lined muffin cups.
- Bake muffins for 30 minutes or until slightly firm to the touch, and just beginning to brown on the top.