Italian Octopus Salad
|1 lb of cleaned octopus|
|1 yellow onion halved|
|2 celery stalks halved|
|2 carrots halved|
|3 quarts of water|
|2 celery stalks chopped|
|2 carrots, peeled and chopped|
|Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling|
|1 lemon, halved|
|2 tbs fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped|
|Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
- To tenderize octopus, bring a large pot of water to a boil and, add octopus dip it into the boiling water for about 10 seconds and pull it out . Let it cool slightly and dip it again. Repeat 1 or two more times.
- Place the octopus, onion, celery and carrots and water to cover in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Cook until the octopus is tender. About 1 hour.
- Transfer the octopus to to a platter and set aside to cool.
- You may strain the stock and reserve for later use. Note; this stock is perfect for making authentic seafood risotto!
- To make the salad, cut the octopus into bite sized pieces and place in a serving bowl.
- Add the celery and carrots and toss to mix.
- Drizzle with a generous amount of olive oil and squeeze the lemon halves over and toss well.
- Add the parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.