Mexican Chicken Hominy Stew
|1 lb of skinless boneless chicken breasts|
|2 tbs dried oregano|
|1 cup red onion, chopped, divided|
|3 and 1/2 cups chicken stock|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|2 tsp chili powder|
|1 (15oz) can white hominy, drained|
|1 (15oz) can of pinto beans drained|
|1 cup shredded cabbage|
|1 lime cut into wedges|
- In a small dry skilled heat oregano until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer to a saucer to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tbs of toasted oregano with 1/4 cups of onions and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine remaining onions with 3 tbs of stock, salt and pepper.
- Cook until onions are translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add remaining oregano and chili powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Add hominy and the remaining chicken stock, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add pinto beans and chicken.
- Return to summer and cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Pour into bowls and top with shredded cabbage, reserved oregano mixture and squeeze lime juice over.