Asian Salt and Pepper Squid
|2 lb of fresh squid tubes, halved lengthwise|
|1 cup lemon juice|
|2 cups corn flour|
|3 tbs kosher salt|
|1 tbs ground white pepper|
|2 tsp confection sugar|
|4 egg whites, beaten|
|oil for deep frying|
|lemon wedges for serving|
|fresh cilantro for garnish|
- Open up the squid tubes, wash and pat dry.
- Lay on a chopping board with the inside facing upwards.
- Score a fine diamond pattern on the squid, being careful not to cut all the way through.
- Cut squid into pieces about 2×2 inches.
- Place in a flat non metallic dish and pour the lemon juice over.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 15 minutes.
- Drain and pat dry.
- Combine corn flour, salt, pepper and sugar in a bowl.
- Dip squid into the egg white, then dust with the corn flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Fill a large sauce pan or deep fryer 1/3 full with oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Deep fry the squid, in batches for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Drain and serve with lemon wedges and garnish with cilantro.