- 1/2 lb of very lean ground beef (at least 90/10)
- 1/2 lb of very lean ground lamb
- 1/2 lb of Bulgar wheat
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 tsp all spice
- 1 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 tbs ice water
- crackers and crusty bread for serving
The key to this dish is to grind the meat almost to a paste in a mortar and pestle or in a food processor.
- Soak Bulgar wheat to a bowl with about 1 cup of warm water. Soak for 30 minutes.
- Add ground meat to a food processor with a cutting blade.
- Add cumin, kosher salt, pepper and parsley to food processor.
- Process meat and seasonings until it forms a paste.
- Add a little ice water to the bowl while processing to help prevent meat from sticking.
- Remove meat from processor and add to a bowl.
- Fold in the Bulgar wheat until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Cover and chill meat for at least 1 hour.
- In a sauce pan add the butter and onions and simmer for 10 minutes.
- To serve place the Kibbeh in an attractive bowl. Scoop meat onto crusty bread or crackers and top with some of the onion and butter mixture.