|1 lb of ground beef, chicken or pork|
|1 onion, minced|
|1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed|
|1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed|
|1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 Serrano pepper, seeded and minced|
|1 can of green chilies|
|2 tbs canola oil|
|1 tomato, chopped|
|1 can corn, drained and rinsed|
|1 small bunch of cilantro, chopped|
|2 tsp cumin|
|1 tsp chili powder|
|3 cans of chicken broth|
|kosher salt and fresh black pepper to taste|
|Garnishes, shredded cheese, sliced olives, sour cream, corn chips.|
- Brown ground beef in a saute pan, season with salt and pepper and cook until browned.
- Add beef to a wire mesh strainer and drain off fat.
- To a large sauce pan add a little oil and saute the onions and garlic until soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the garnishes and the cilantro.
- Simmer using low heat for 1 hour.
- Taste for seasoning. Top with chopped cilantro
- Serve in bowls along with garnishes on the side.
- If soup become too thick add more chicken broth of water.