Vegetable and Corn Chowder
|1 tbs canola oil|
|1 red onion diced|
|1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced|
|3 cloves garlic, crushed|
|1 large potato, diced|
|2 tbs flour|
|2 and 1/2 cups milk|
|1 and 1/4 cups vegetable stock|
|1 (oz) broccoli florets|
|3 cups canned or frozen corn (drained if canned)|
|3/4 cup Colby cheese, grated|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1 tbs cilantro, chopped, for garnish|
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, potato and garlic then saute over low heat, stirring frequently for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring for 30 seconds.
- Gradually stir in the milk and the vegetable stock.
- Add the broccoli and the corn and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, then lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender.
- Add 1/4 cup of the cheese and stir until it melts.
- Season, then ladle the chowder into serving bowls.
- Garnish with the remaining cheese and cilantro.