Brown Sugar Applesauce Cookies
|1 cup packed brown sugar|
|1/2 cup shortening|
|1/2 cup applesauce|
|1 and 3/4 cups flour|
|1/2 tsp baking soda|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
|1/2 tsp cinnamon|
|1/4 tsp ground cloves|
|for the frosting|
|1 stick unsalted butter, softened|
|2 cups powdered sugar|
|1 tsp pure vanilla extract|
|1-2 tbs milk|
- Beat together the brown sugar, shortening, applesauce and egg.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or more.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Drop the dough by the rounded spoonful about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until browned.
- Immediately remove from the cookie sheets. Cool and spread with fros
for the frosting:
- Heat the butter over medium heat until delicate brown. About 2 to 3 minutes using medium heat.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Beat in the milk until smooth.
- Spread over the cooled cookies.