Chinese Black Satin Chicken
|3 dried Chinese mushrooms|
|1/2 cup dark soy sauce|
|1/4 cup brown sugar|
|2 tbs Shaosing Chinese wine|
|1 tbs soy sauce|
|1 tsp sesame oil|
|1/4 tsp Chinese five spice powder|
|3 lbs chicken drumettes|
|2 inch piece fresh ginger, grated|
- Put the mushrooms in a small heat proof bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to soak for 20 minutes.
- Drain, reserving the liquid.
- Combine the liquid with with the dark soy sauce, sugar, wine, soy sauce, sesame oil and five spice powder in a small pan and bring to the boil, stirring continuously.
- Rub the chicken with ginger and 1 tsp of salt and put in a large pan.
- Cover with the soy marinade and mushrooms, turning to coal evenly.
- Cover and cook over low heat, turning regularly for 20 minutes or until the juices run clear when pierced with a fork.
- Remove the chicken an allow to cool briefly.
- Boil the sauce over high heat until thick and syrupy.
- Discard the mushrooms.
- Arrange the chicken on a platter, brush lightly with the syrupy sauce ad serve the remaining sauce for dipping.