Country Pate with Pistachios
|1 lb of chicken livers, cleaned of veins|
|1/2 lb of pistachios|
|1 lb ground veal|
|1 lb bulk sausage|
|2 tbs kosher salt|
|1 tsp ground allspice|
|2 cloves garlic, finely minced|
|1 tsp black pepper|
|1/4 cup Cognac|
|1 lb of thick sliced bacon, blanched in boiling water for 10 minutes, then drain.|
|2 oz prosciutto, sliced into thin strips|
This is a course grained pate that is very rich in flavor and fairly easy to prepare.
- Place chicken livers in a food processor and puree until the are almost liquid.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs lightly.
- Add the livers, ground veal, sausage, salt, allspice, garlic, pepper and cognac and pistachios.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Line the bottom and sides of a large loaf pan, or terrine with the blanched bacon, reserving a few slices for the top.
- Place half of the pate mixture in pan, pressing down well with a spoon.
- Place prosciutto strips on top of the pate.
- Cover with remaining pate mixture, pressing down well.
- Place the remaining bacon over the top.
- Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil.
- Place the pate pan in a larger pan filled with enough water to come about a third of the way up the side of the pate pan.
- Bake in preheated 300 degree oven for 2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and place some heavy weights on top of the foil. An aluminum foil brick works well.
- This will cause excess fat to overflow into the larger pan and the pate will compress.
- Allow the pate to cool with the weights on top.
- Remove the weights.
- Remove the pate from pan and carefully peel off bacon slices.
- Wrap pate in aluminium foil and refrigerate.
- Serve cold, cut into thin slices, with French bread, sweet butter and sweet gherkins.