Italian Tomato Soup
|1/2 lb ripe plum tomatoes|
|4 cloves garlic, chopped|
|1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil|
|1/4 loaf of day old Italian or French bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes|
|1 and 1/2 cups chicken stock|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste.|
|Basil leaves, chopped for garnish|
- Add olive oil to a hot pan.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic and bread and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to simmer add the chicken stock and continue to cook for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- At this point you may either serve as is for and rustic soup or you may pass the soup through a food mill to get a smoother texture.