Mini Corn Dogs
|8 large beef hot dogs|
|8 wooden skewers|
|corn flour for dusting|
|canola oil for deep frying|
|tomato sauce for dipping|
|1 and 3/4 cups self rising flour|
|1/4 cup cornmeal|
|1 egg, lightly beaten|
|1 tbs oil|
- Cut the hot dogs in half cross ways.
- Cut the 8 wooden skewers in half and insert one half through each hot dog, leaving some of the skewer sticking out for a handle.
- Dust the hot dogs with a little corn flour.
- To make the batter, sift the flour into a large bowl.
- Stir in the cornmeal and make a well in the center.
- Gradually combine the egg, oil, and 1 and 1/2 cups of water, whisking to make a smooth lump free batter.
- Fill a sauce pan or deep fryer, 1/3 full of oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Drain off the excess batter from the hot dogs and add the the oil, a few at a time.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove hot dogs from the oil and drain on paper towels.