Black Forest Cake
|1 and 1/4 cups vegetable oil|
|1 and 1/4 cups milk|
|1 tbs vanilla extract|
|3 cups sugar|
|3 and 1/4 cups cake flour|
|1/3 cup cocoa powder|
|2 tbs baking powder|
|1 tsp salt|
|2 and 1/4 tsp baking soda|
|1/2 cup sugar|
|1/2 cup water|
|1 lemon sliced|
|Flavored Simple Syrup:|
|2 and 1/2 tbs simple syrup|
|2 tbs cherry syrup|
|1 tbs black cherry brandy|
|1 qt heavy cream, chilled|
|1/4 cup confectioners sugar|
This is the best Black Forest cake ever.
- To make the cake layers, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 4 (8 inch) cake pans thoroughly with non stick cooking spray and dust with flour.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the liquid ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients.
- Place all the sifted dry ingredients on top of the liquid ingredients in a bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, whip on low speed until all of the ingredients are blended slightly, about 30 seconds.
- Whip for 4 minutes on high speed, scraping the bowl well.
- Divide the batter into the cake pans.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven until the cakes are golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool for 5 to 10 minutes before removing cakes from pan.
- Slice each cake layer into 2 layers, each one about 1/2 inches thick.
- To make the simple syrup; in a sauce pan combine the sugar and water over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and add the lemon slices. Cool.
- Store in the refrigerator . Remove the lemons before serving.
- To make the flavored simple syrup; combine all ingredients and set aside.
- To make the Chantilly cream: place 2 cups of the heavy cream in a cold bowl and whip at high speed until cream thickens. Gradually add the remaining cream. Mix until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until needed.
- To assemble the cake; moisten each cake layer with the flavored simple syrup. Make sure the cake layers are completely cool.
- Pipe a target pattern in Chantilly cream on the first cake layer. To do this, pipe a dot in the center, a 1/2 inch circle between the dot and the perimeter.
- Between these lines of Chantilly cream, spoon the dark cherries until the space is completely filled.
- You should have alternating circles of Chantilly cream and circles.
- Place the second layer of sponge on top of the Chantilly cream and cherries.
- Repeat the same for the second layer. Only one circle of cherries is needed for this layer.
- Use the Chantilly cream to ice the entire cake, starting at the top and working your way down the sides, using a cake spatula.
- Place the chocolate shavings on the sides of the cake.
- Divide and mark 12 portions evenly by piping Chantilly cream rosettes with a star tube 1/4 inch from the edge of the cake.
- Garnish the center of the cake with chocolate shavings.
- Place a Maraschino cherry on each rosette.