Braised Beef Short Ribs
|4 beef short ribs|
|salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste|
|1 cup of flour, seasoned with salt and pepper|
|2 tbs oil|
|2 cups beef broth|
|2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces|
|2 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces|
|1 medium onion, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces|
|1 bay leaf|
|1 tbs juniper berries|
|1 tsp whole black peppercorns|
|1 cup dry red wine|
- Season the beef short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Dust the ribs with seasoned flour.
- In a saute pan over high heat, heat the oil and sear the ribs until golden brown on all sides.
- Move the ribs into a deep braising pan.
- In the same saute pan, sear the vegetables until golden brown on all sides.
- Pour the vegetables and ribs into the braising pan.
- De glaze the saute with the red wine and pour the broth over the ribs and vegetables.
- Add the beef broth to the braising pan.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Add the spices to the ribs and vegetables.
- Cover and braise for 1 to 2 hours or until the meat is tender.