|2 large eggplants, skinned and sliced into 1/2 inch slices|
|6 tbs olive oil|
|1 large yellow onion, chopped|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 tbs fresh basil, chopped|
|1 tsp dried oregano|
|1 tsp dried thyme|
|1 green pepper, seeded and chopped|
|1 (28oz) can plum tomatoes|
|1 (6 oz) can tomato paste|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|2/3 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese|
|1 cup mozzarella cheese (more if desired)|
- Peel and cut the eggplant into 1/2 inch slices.
- Add the egg plant to a colander and sprinkle liberally with kosher salt. Let stand for at least 30 minutes. This will cause the eggplant to loose excess moisture.
- After 30 minutes, rinse the eggplant well and dry with paper towels.
- In a medium sauce pan saute the onion and garlic in 3 tbs of olive oil, just until onions are translucent.
- Add the basil, oregano, thyme, green pepper, tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer over low heat for 1 hour.
- Spread a few tbs of the sauce on the bottom of a large casserole or baking dish.
- Place 1/2 of the eggplant slices in the casserole dish. Cover with sauce.
- Add the remaining slices of eggplant, then cover with remaining sauce.
- Top with Mozzarella cheese, the sprinkle with the Parmesan.
- Bake uncovered in a preheated 400 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until the cheese is lightly browned and bubbling.