Italian Tomato Sauce
|7 lbs fresh ripe tomatoes|
|1 medium onion minced|
|1cup extra virgin olive oil|
|8 cloves garlic, minced|
|2 tsp dried oregano|
|1 tbs sugar|
|1/2 cup dry red wine|
|2 bay leaves|
|1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper|
Use the ripest tomatoes that you can find.
- Add olive oil, onion, garlic to a sauce pan and using very low heat and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Take care not to burn.
- Strain the oil into a large sauce pan or stock pot. Discard onions and garlic.
- Score the tomatoes with a X on the bottom.
- Add tomatoes in batches to boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Using a knife peel the skin off of each tomato.
- Add the tomatoes to the olive oil along with the tomato paste, oregano,wine, bay leaves and sugar. Simmer for 15 minutes, taste then season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes then add the fresh basil. Mix well then serve over pasta.
- Recipe may be halved.