Italian Tomato Sauce
- 7 lbs fresh ripe tomatoes
- 1 medium onion minced
- 1cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
Use the ripest tomatoes that you can find.
- Add olive oil, onion, garlic to a sauce pan and using very low heat and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Take care not to burn.
- Strain the oil into a large sauce pan or stock pot. Discard onions and garlic.
- Score the tomatoes with a X on the bottom.
- Add tomatoes in batches to boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Using a knife peel the skin off of each tomato.
- Add the tomatoes to the olive oil along with the tomato paste, oregano,wine, bay leaves and sugar. Simmer for 15 minutes, taste then season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes then add the fresh basil. Mix well then serve over pasta.
- Recipe may be halved.