Grilled Fennel with Orange Dressing
|1/4 cup orange juice|
|1 tbs lemon juice|
|1 tsp grated orange peel|
|1 tbs minced shallots|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|2 large fennel bulbs|
|2 tbs olive oil|
- Combine the orange juice, lemon juice, grated orange peel, shallots, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Slice 1/4 inch off the root end of each fennel bulb.
- Trim the stalks and the feathery fronds of the bulbs, reserving a few of the fronds for garnish.
- Lay each fennel bulb on its side.
- With a large knife, cut the fennel into 1/2 inch thick slices through its core, which will hold most of the fennel together while grilling.
- Pre-heat a stove top grill or hot charcoal to a medium high heat.
- Toss the fennel with the olive oil.
- Grill the fennel on each side until tender and until tender, and the surface begins to caramelize. About 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Remove from the grill and drizzle with orange dressing.