Grilled Fennel with Orange Dressing
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated orange peel
- 1 tbs minced shallots
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 large fennel bulbs
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Combine the orange juice, lemon juice, grated orange peel, shallots, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Slice 1/4 inch off the root end of each fennel bulb.
- Trim the stalks and the feathery fronds of the bulbs, reserving a few of the fronds for garnish.
- Lay each fennel bulb on its side.
- With a large knife, cut the fennel into 1/2 inch thick slices through its core, which will hold most of the fennel together while grilling.
- Pre-heat a stove top grill or hot charcoal to a medium high heat.
- Toss the fennel with the olive oil.
- Grill the fennel on each side until tender and until tender, and the surface begins to caramelize. About 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Remove from the grill and drizzle with orange dressing.