Japanese Broad Beans with Daikon and Salmon Roe
- 1/2 lb Daikon radish
- 1 nori sheet (available at Asian Markets)
- 2 and 1/4 lbs of fava beans in their pods, shelled
- 1/2 tsp wasabi paste
- 4 tsp soy sauce
- 4 tbs of orange salmon roe
- kosher salt to taste
- Grate the daikon into fine shreds.
- Place in a wire mesh sieve and let drain.
- Tear the nori sheets with your hands into flakes about 1/2 inch square.
- Cook the fava beans in rapidly boiling salted water for about 4 minutes.
- Drain under cool running water, then remove skins. (you may use canned beans that have already been skinned.
- Mix the wasabi paste with the soy sauce in a small bowl.
- Add the nori flakes, toasted if you wish along with the beans, and mix well.
- Divide the beans among four individual small bowl, heap on the grated daikon, then spoon the salmon eggs on top.
- Serve the dish cold ask your guests to mix everything well just before eating.