Japanese Daikon and Carrot Salad
|1 medium Diakon radish, about 8 inches long|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|3 tbs super fine sugar|
|4 and 1/2 tbs rice vinegar|
|1 tbs sesame seeds|
- Cut the Daikon into 3 pieces, then peel the skin.
- Peel the carrots and cut them into 2 inch pieces.
- Slice both vegetables thinly lengthwise then crosswise to make very thin matchsticks.
- Place the daikon and carrots in a bowl. Sprinkle with the salt and mix.
- Leave for 30 minutes, then drain and squeeze out the excess liquid. Transfer to another bowl.
- Mix the sugar and vinegar together in a bowl.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour over the daikon and carrot and leave in the refrigerator covered for at least a day, mixing two to three times.
- To serve, mix the vegetables evenly in a heap in the middle of a bowl.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.