Japanese Dashi Stock
|4 cups water|
|16 to 20 square inches of kombu (available at Asian Grocery's)|
|1/2 cup loosely packed bonito flakes Available at Asian Grocery's)|
Dashi one of the primary ingredients in Japanese cooking. It is the broth that is the base for miso soup.
- Place the water and the kombu in a pot and let the kombu soak for about 15 minutes.
- Place the pot over medium heat.
- Right before the water starts to boil, remove the pot from the heat and scatter the bonito flakes over the surface of the water.
- Allow the bonito flakes to soak for about 4 minutes.
- Then strain the stock through a wire sieve lined with a coffee filter.
- You may refrigerate the stock in a tightly cover container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.