Japanese Seafood Salad with Fruit Dressing
- 1 small onion, sliced lengthwise
- lemon juice
- 1 lb of sea bass fillet
- 2 tbs sake
- 4 jumbo shrimp, shells removed
- 1lb of salad greens
- 2 ripe apricots, skinned and stoned
- 1/4 apple, peeled and cored
- 4 tbs water or dashi stock
- 1 tsp dashi-no-moto soup stock base (available at Asian markets)
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- salt and ground white pepper
In this salad the white fish is briefly seared, then served with prawns and salad tossed in an oil free apricot and apple dressing.
- Soak the onion in ice-water for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Bring a pan half full of water to the boil.
- Add a dash of lemon juice and plunge the fish into it.
- Remove the fish after 30 seconds and cool under cold running water.
- Cut fish into 1/2 inch thick slices crosswise.
- Bring the sake to the boil, then add the shrimp.
- Cook for 1 minute, or until the shrimp turns pink.
- Cool the shrimp under cold running water and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices crosswise.
- Slice the apricot thinly and set aside
- Puree the apple, dashi or water, dashi-no-moto, soy sauce and white pepper. Chill.
- Lay out some salad leaves on plates.
- Mix the fish, shrimp, apricot and onion together, add the remaining salad leaves.
- Pour on the dressing and gently toss.