Japanese Shitake Mushrooms with Shoyu (Soy Sauce)
- 20 dried shitake mushrooms
- 3 tbs canola oil
- 2 tbs shoyu (soy sauce)
- 1 and 1/2 tbs superfine sugar
- 1 tbs toasted sesame oil
- Start soaking the shitake the day before.
- Put them in a bowl almost full of water. Cover with a small plate to stop them from floating, and let them soak for 1 hour.
- Measure 1/2 cup liquid from the bowl.
- Drain the shitake into a wire mesh sieve. Remove and discard the stalks.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large saute pan.
- Stir fry the mushrooms over high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to low, then add the measured liquid, the soy sauce and sugar.
- Cook until there is almost no moisture left.
- Add the sesame oil.
- Leave to cool, then slice and arrange the shitake on a large plate.