Japanese Spinach with Peanut Sauce
- 1 lb of spinach
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 and 1/2 tsp superfine sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tbs dashi stock or warm water with a pinch of dashi-no- moto (available at Asian grocery's)
- First make the peanut sauce.
- Grind the peanuts in a food processor.
- Transfer the crushed nuts to a small mixing bowl and stir in the soy sauce, sugar and dashi stock.
- When well mixed, the sauce will look like runny peanut butter.
- Blanch the spinach for 30 seconds in rapidly boiling water until the leaves are wilted.
- Drain and cool under running water for 30 seconds.
- Drain again and lightly squeeze out the excess water.
- Add the peanut sauce to the spinach in a blow and mix gently.
- Serve on individual plates.