New Orleans Red Rice
|1 (12 oz) can of plum tomatoes|
|6 slices bacon|
|1 green bell pepper, chopped|
|1 medium onion, chopped|
|1 stalk of celery, chopped fine|
|1 cup rice|
|1 tsp sugar|
|salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
- Drain the tomatoes and reserve the liquid.
- Combine the reserved liquid with enough water to measure 2 cups.
- Puree the tomatoes in a blender or food processor and set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a medium sauce pan until crisp. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
- Saute the green pepper, onions and celery in the bacon drippings.
- Add the rice and stir until coated.
- Add the water mixture, pureed tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 to 30 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Let stand covered for 15 minutes or until the rice is fluffy.
- Stir in the bacon.