New Orleans Red Rice
- 1 (12 oz) can of plum tomatoes
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped fine
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Drain the tomatoes and reserve the liquid.
- Combine the reserved liquid with enough water to measure 2 cups.
- Puree the tomatoes in a blender or food processor and set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a medium sauce pan until crisp. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
- Saute the green pepper, onions and celery in the bacon drippings.
- Add the rice and stir until coated.
- Add the water mixture, pureed tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 to 30 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Let stand covered for 15 minutes or until the rice is fluffy.
- Stir in the bacon.