Pork and Beef Empanadas
|Canola oil for frying|
|1 onion, finely chopped|
|1 green pepper. chopped|
|1 clove garlic, crushed|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|2 tsp ground cumin|
|1 tsp oregano|
|3/4 lb of ground chuck|
|1/2 lb of ground pork|
|3/4 cup of chopped canned tomatoes, with juice.|
|1/4 lb of pitted green olives|
|1 box frozen puff pastry|
- Defrost the puff pastry. Set aside.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and cook the onions using low heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add the green pepper and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the ground meats and break up any lumps and cook until browned.
- Stir in the tomatoes and olives and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Season with salt, pepper, oregano and cumin.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Cut 3 inch rounds from each sheet of puff pastry.
- Place 2 heaped teaspoons of filling onto each round and fold over to enclose.
- Press the edges down with a fork to seal.
- Add 1 inch of canola oil into a deep saute pan.
- Fry the empanadas in batches until crisp and golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Alternatively you may bake in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until golden.