Spanish Chickpea Soup
|1 lb dried chickpeas|
|6 cups chicken stock|
|5 medium carrots, peeled and chopped|
|5 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped|
|1 medium onion, chopped|
|1 stalk of celery|
|2 garlic cloves, chopped|
|1 ham hock|
|1/4 tsp saffron threads|
|1 cup cubed ham|
|1 small jar of roasted peppers, chopped and drained|
- Soak the chickpeas in the water overnight. Drain. You may alternatively use rinsed canned chickpeas.
- Combine the beans, carrots, potatoes, celery, onion, saffron, ham hock with chicken stock to cover in a large stock pot. If you need to add more liquid just add some water.
- Cook at a low temperature for 2 to 3 hours or until all the ingredients are tender.
- Add additional water or stock if needed.
- Remove ham hock before serving. If desired you may shred the meat from the ham hock and add to the soup.