Spanish Chickpea Soup
- 1 lb dried chickpeas
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 ham hock
- 1/4 tsp saffron threads
- 1 cup cubed ham
- 1 small jar of roasted peppers, chopped and drained
- Soak the chickpeas in the water overnight. Drain. You may alternatively use rinsed canned chickpeas.
- Combine the beans, carrots, potatoes, celery, onion, saffron, ham hock with chicken stock to cover in a large stock pot. If you need to add more liquid just add some water.
- Cook at a low temperature for 2 to 3 hours or until all the ingredients are tender.
- Add additional water or stock if needed.
- Remove ham hock before serving. If desired you may shred the meat from the ham hock and add to the soup.