|1 bunch of beets (about 1 and 1/4 lbs)|
|1 tbs apple cider vinegar|
|1/2 cup wine vinegar|
|2 tbs fresh lemon juice|
|1/4 cup apple juice|
|1/2 tsp ground coriander|
|1 tbs pickling spices|
|1/4 cup chopped onion|
This is a delicious relish that maximizes the savory sweet flavor of beets. It is especially good on chicken or fish.
- Wash beets and cut off leaves 1 inch from beets.
- Place in a sauce pan with 1 tbs of cider vinegar and water to cover.
- Cook until tender (10 or 20 minutes depending on size of beets.)
- Drain reserving 1/4 cup of cooking juices.
- Peel and dice (you may want to use protective gloves to keep your hands for discoloring)
- Combine balance of ingredients, except onion in a heavy bottomed sauce pan.
- Bring to a simmering point. Partially cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Strain into a bowl with beets. Add onion, stirring to blend then cool.
- Transfer to a jar. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain and serve chilled.