Black Eye Pea Herb Dip
|1/2 lb of dry black eye peas, soaked overnight|
|1 small onion, chopped|
|1 bay leaf|
|1 tsp dried thyme|
|3 cloves garlic, chopped|
|3 tbs chopped parsley|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|2 cans of chicken stock|
|1/4 cup extra virgin oil|
This is a wonderful way to prepare black eye peas. Use dry peas if possible, they have much better flavor. Recipe may be doubled.
- Add dried peas to a large bowl and cover completely with water. Allow to soak overnight.
- Remove peas from water and rinse well.
- Add peas to a large sauce pan along with 2 cans of chicken stock the bay leaf and onions.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium.
- Allow the peas to cook until tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove peas from the pan and discard all but about a cup of the chicken stock. Be sure to discard the bay leaf .
- Add the peas to a food proccessor, along with the cooked onions, thyme, garlic and parsley.
- Add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Process until smooth.
- With motor running drizzle in the olive oil.
- If you want a looser consistency you may add a little chicken stock.
- Serve with assorted crackers and crusty bread.
- Alternatively you may use rinsed canned black eyed peas.