Black Eye Pea Herb Dip
- 1/2 lb of dry black eye peas, soaked overnight
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tbs chopped parsley
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 cans of chicken stock
- 1/4 cup extra virgin oil
This is a wonderful way to prepare black eye peas. Use dry peas if possible, they have much better flavor. Recipe may be doubled.
- Add dried peas to a large bowl and cover completely with water. Allow to soak overnight.
- Remove peas from water and rinse well.
- Add peas to a large sauce pan along with 2 cans of chicken stock the bay leaf and onions.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium.
- Allow the peas to cook until tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove peas from the pan and discard all but about a cup of the chicken stock. Be sure to discard the bay leaf .
- Add the peas to a food proccessor, along with the cooked onions, thyme, garlic and parsley.
- Add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Process until smooth.
- With motor running drizzle in the olive oil.
- If you want a looser consistency you may add a little chicken stock.
- Serve with assorted crackers and crusty bread.
- Alternatively you may use rinsed canned black eyed peas.