Chocolate Meringue Cream Pie
|1 (9inch) pre-baked pie crust, fresh or frozen|
|2 ozs unsweetened baking chocolate|
|3/4 cups sugar|
|1/4 cup flour|
|2 cups milk, scalded|
|2 egg yolks, beaten|
|1 tsp vanilla extract|
|2 tbs unsalted butter|
|3 large egg whites, at room temperature|
|1/2 tsp vanilla extract|
|1/4 tsp cream of tartar|
|6 tbs superfine sugar|
- Prepare the pie shell according to package directions. Cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler set over simmering water.
- Add the sugar and flour and mix well.
- Slowly add the hot milk to the chocolate mixture, stirring constantly.
- Cook, stirring frequently for 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in a small amount of the hot custard into the egg yolks.
- Combine the egg yolk mixture with the mixture in the double boiler.
- Cook for 2 minutes more.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add the vanilla and butter, and mix well.
- Turn the filling into the pie shell.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. While the filling is hot, prepare the meringue.
- Beat the egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar until the mixture holds stiff peaks.
- Gradually add the sugar, 1 tbs at a time, beating until very stiff and glossy. All the sugar must be dissolved.
- Spread the meringue over the hot filling, sealing the edge to the crust.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool and chill until serving.